giovedì 19 agosto 2021

LIGHT ON ME a very sweet BL drama but too soporific [REVIEW]

It’s difficult for me to review this drama. I really have mixed feelings after watching it. I found it very sweet, and very meaningful, but toooooooo slow. The pace is so slow that I struggled to watch it, especially in the first half of episodes.

Yet my expectations were very high. First of all because I have already seen other dramas on the same channel, and I also liked them, and secondly because I liked the fact that the episodes were 16, 30 minutes long, and not just 8-10 of just 15 minutes.

Unfortunately, however, at least in my opinion, this choice turned out to be a flaw, the biggest mistake. I found that most of the scenes didn’t serve the purpose of the plot, were useless and made me lose attention too often. In addition, the dialogues were absolutely soporific, although most of the times they were significant, minutes passed between one word and another and I, frustrated, couldn’t wait for the sentence to come to an end.

Another thing that bothered me, but which I only noticed in the first few episodes, was the fact that the homosexuality theme in this drama seemed almost forced, as if everything had to scream "the protagonists are gay, this is a drama boys love!". Such as the scene of the first episode (I won’t go into details, don’t worry spoiler free, those who have seen it will understand), the meeting between Shinwoo and Taekyung, let’s be serious, such an object I don’t think you can find it in school and there certainly you don’t carry it around like that. It's a scene that isn't funny to me but rather honestly cringe.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the drama, especially in the second half. I found the two male leads very sweet and I liked the theme of homosexuality as it was dealt with during the episodes, except for the parts with Sohee, who thanks God eventually came to her mind and understood her mistake. But, for this drama, I would have preferred fewer episodes, fewer filler scenes and faster dialogues. I understand the delicacy of the subject, and the shyness of the protagonists, but they are really exaggeratedly slow.

I've seen other Korean BLs before (Where your eyes linger, Mr. Heart, Color rush, You make me dance or To my star, to name a few) and honestly with their few and short episodes they got me a lot more involved, so much so that I couldn't wait for the subtitles and even watched them with 30% of eng sub. With this drama I didn't feel the same call, except towards the end because I absolutely had to know who would choose Taekyung.

This BL was the demonstration that it doesn’t matter how many episodes, and how many minutes, a drama can last, if it’s done well it will be able to excite you even in a few seconds.

Obviously, this is just my opinion, you can also disagree.


I conclude with a sentence from the last episode that I greatly appreciated, and that many should keep in mind:

I don't understand why everyone's so interested in other people's business. Whether they're dating men or women...or elephants. What does it matter to you? Stop taking interest in other people's dating lives and live your own life. Please. (Nam Goong Shi Woon, ep 16)

So this is a goodbye. See you at the next review!

0 commenti:

Posta un commento